- Get into the hardware business at last
- Get closer to the living room and enterainment devices, the better to compete with Apple.
- Block a mobile partnership path for Microsoft
- Help defend Android against patent lawsuits by inheriting Motorola's patents.
- Show it can spend over $12 billion and not break a sweat.
I shared some of this initial reasoning, but the true secret motivation only now occurred to me. Google gets the StarTAC phone and, more importantly, pagers!!!
Come on yall. Sir Mix-A-Lot ain't no fool.